Sunday, December 19, 2010

Looks like I need to up the pace

from email to Sarah:

oh guess what, i just ran 15 miles at just slightly slower than marathon pace - and that's on a trail, and with occasional distractions (cars in the park, finding my way).  oh and nothing hurts at all - just feel a little stiff and that's all.  how cool is that!?!?  ok, my feet are a bit bruised, the fronts of my feet, but to be fair, they were already sore from walking around a ton yesterday in my loafers.  so the fact that i'm in this shape 3 months before the marathon probably means that my target pace is too slow.  because i'm thinking if i can run this fast on a trail, on a bad day (i drank a little bit last night, went to bed at 4, got up at 10, and spent all day prior to the run running around the city which was tiring... that's all before the run), and that's without full effort and adrenaline of the race, i can probably squeeze out a marathon at the 9:10 pace with just a little bit more endurance training. 

the other thing that was really cool was that when i started out the run, i really felt like shit (see above).  the first lap was REAL slow - probably slower than 10 minute pace.  and then, like clockwork, about 45 or so minutes into my run, i warmed up, my endorphins kicked in, and everything was awesome!  i felt light and like i could run forever!  it really does take me about 45-60 minutes to warm up.  i think that's why on our run in the valley on Thanksgiving it took me so long to get going - seems like your endorphins kick in sooner.  in any case, i'm figuring on race dace the adrenaline will hopefully substitute for the warm-up and i'll be able to get a good pace from the start.

the other thing i noticed, again, is the importance of food and occasional walking breaks.  at the end of lap 3 i was still feeling pretty good, but felt that it was getting more difficult to keep the pace.  so i walked for 3 minutes while devouring a mint/chocolate clif bar.  and man, after that, i just booked it.  i think i was going at around 8:45 pace, which was about 0:20 faster than my previous pace - not bad for the last 4 miles.

so yeah, i think i should set my sights higher, since i have 3 more months of training (assuming i will be able to keep running regularly).  8:30 pace would be a good challenge.

i guess i'm a really good self-motivator.  most of my long/ridiculous runs have been done on my own.  i've definitely gotten better at team running, though i'm also perfectly happy as a lone wolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment