Sunday, August 14, 2011

Solo run

Sarah was still not feeling well, so I set out for a fast sol run (and I had a time constraint to be back by 7, so I can have time to shower and pack for my bachelor party, and then make it to a 9 p.m. flight).

This was my first long solo run in a while.  One big difference between running with someone or a group vs. solo is the ability to really micromanage ones body.  One moment I'm feeling pretty good, so I pick up the pace.  Another moment  I get winded on an uphill so I walk for a few moments.  Then I'm feeling dehydrated, so I slow the pace way down and drink.

I went up Black Mountain, and then down into the canyon and to Skyline, where Sarah met me as my aid station and bandaged up a blister on the back of my heel while giving me a burrito and refilling my water.  Sweetest fiance ever!  I also met a cool Russian optics physicist on the way and talked to him about cell phone cameras.

Then it was back down into the canyon, and then back up to Black Mountain, and then back down to the parking lot where Sarah arrived just as I got back.

I was able to keep a brisk pace, moving at roughly 12 minute miles on average for 21.5 miles, despite about a 5000-5500ft elevation gain.  Not bad at all!

I felt great at the finish and still feeling good now.  So I suppose this is my peaking workout.  I got one more hard run coming up - going to do Mt. Wilson up and down on Wednesday, and will try to run as much as possible on the way up.  And after that is tapering.  Probably an easy 20 miler in the Marine Headlands 2 weeks pre-race, and then bring it to maybe 10 miles the last weekend pre-race.

So excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment