Monday, October 18, 2010

Pretty Run, Sore Calves, and a Race for my Life

Went on an 11-mile run in Muir Woods on Saturday morning with Sarah.  We aimed for a 15 miler, but Sarah left her shoes at home, so we picked up new shoes along the way as well as a trail map of the Mt. Tam area.  Oh and of course lots of pumpkin spice Clif bars which you apparently can only find at the Sports Basement.

The map turned out to be a good decision as the wilderness has 50 miles of criss-crossing trails.

I really enjoyed the run.  It was my first run through a forest (I guess if we don't count a run-hike in Seattle).  I love forests.  They're my favorite landscape.  So lush and full of life and greenery.  And the ground is perfect for running - soft but not muddy.  Has ups and downs, but not rocky.

On this run I started out focusing on my form.  Not heel striking, but also making sure I don't stay too high up on my toes - so landing on sort of the front half of the foot.  And when landing, my foot is already going a little bit backwards, so there is a nice tap as opposed to a scrape which means I'm braking.

Also trying to use my hamstrings to sort of claw at the ground to get more forward before pushing off.  I'm not sure if I'm doing any of it right, but I watched a bunch of YouTube videos and it seems like that's the right thing to do.

The other thing I tried was Barefoot Ted's technique of tacking steep downhills.  He bends his knees a lot which lifts up the heels, helping them naturally contour the steeper slope and creating more traction.  He also takes way smaller steps.  That worked WONDERFULLY!!!  I went down a rather steep descent FAST!  Before I was trying to stay on my toes while keeping the legs as straight as during normal grades, and that just felt awkward - I was scraping and braking with my toes all the time while struggling not to bang on my heels and knees.  And now, I just glided down that thing - fast and light.  It was REALLY FUN!

Though I think all these experimentation combined with an 11 mile run on rough terrain finally did my calves in.  The right one particularly was hurting from experimenting with form for the previous few days.  So on the final 3 mile downhill stretch, I had a really rough time.  I was fine energetically, but the calf was wincing at every step.  So finally I gave in - got to listen to my body - and started landing more on the mid-foot or even heels.

In normal circumstances, we'd just slow down the pace or even walk... but I had to be at Pier 33 to start the tour of Alcatraz for a buddy's bachelor party at 2:30 (no later than 2:45).  The other problem was that when we first glanced at the map trying to calculate how much longer to go... we roughly estimated the way back to be a "couple" of miles which turned into three.  So despite the wincing calf, I had to book after Sarah who was sprinting ahead like it's everyday stuff.  And I'm glad she did.

We got to the car at 2:15 and Sarah drove out of there like a madwoman, taking those curves in the 1990s Toyota pick up with no power steering.  We were making great time until the traffic jam at the toll at Golden Gate - wish I had an EZ Pass!  I don't know if that's a law of physics, but whenever you're in a hurry, you always wind up in the slowest lane.  This was no exception.  We fumed and shook our fists at the slow bridge worker and the slow people who didn't have their cash ready.

Past the bridge, we hit an unlucky streak of traffic lights as I frantically called Bill and pleaded with them to beg the gate guard to keep it open for just a tad longer.  AND WHAT THE FUCK is that dude on a skate board doing in the middle of a busy street right in front of us?!?!??!  "Calm down" said Sarah, "he's not going any slower than us."  True... DOH!

I jump out of the car and run across traffic, sprint to the gate - wincing calves or no, it's all or nothing now.  Oh so crowded - where are they?!?!?!?!?!  I poke my head here and there... oh shit..

"Dima!  Dima!" - I follow the screams and find two of my buddies way ahead on the pier.  I run up there, and squeeze through as the gatekeeper locks the gate after me.  I bow down in gratitude, run onto the boat and take a breath as it pushes off.

"Dima, you're a crazy man."

Yes.

1 comment: